Friday, December 4, 2009

Conundrum

As most of you know, we have only lived here for a few months. We are renting a duplex and there are a lot of really good things about where we live. I'll tell you about those later, when I think of some. I'm sure you know that renting anywhere has it's ups and downs. We truly are blessed to have found so many decent places to live from out of state. However, I have a problem here. As I said, we live in a duplex so we share all the walls on one half of the house. I have met our neighbors: a man and his two teenage daughters. well, I met him once and once his oldest daughter borrowed my phone because she locked herself out of the house. They are relatively quiet and seem nice. Here's the problem- loud bathing. That's right, nearly every morning between FOUR and FIVE THIRTY someone next door is taking an incredibly loud, squeaky bath. I know that I am a light sleeper but who does this?! Sometimes they even wake up Nathan, and that's crossing the line. I would describe the sounds I am woken up to as a drunk elephant trying to do ballet in a bathtub. No one needs to drop the shampoo bottle 15 hundred times!

Okay, so I am writing this to vent, but also because I need some advice. How does one handle something like this? I don't want to confront them and make it worse and it just feels kind of awkward to talk to someone I really don't know about their bathing habits. HELP!!!

6 comments:

j and s (but mainly s) said...

maybe you should put a screaming nathan right next to the wall they share next time they wake him up.


when jon and i first moved into our apartment we were watching TV louder than our upstairs neighbor could handel. (oops!) she came downstairs one time while it was happening and very politely said, "can you please turn down your TV? it's woken me up a few times" we were mortified and turned it down and have kept it down. it was awkward for about a day and then we got over it.

Julie W said...

Wow! THat is crazy...you need to do something about that. Maybe you can talk to the land lord about quiet hours, if there are any, and mention it tactfully. BUt you need to do something. good luck!

Fox and Amy said...

Oohh...frustrating! Just from my years of living in apartments, a loud knock (okay, bang) on the wall when it is offensively-loud is universal renter-speak for "keep it down". We get alot of those knocks from below these days! We're on the 3rd floor with a crazy jumping toddler! Good luck!

Christine said...

I would definitely talk to them directly. I have a feeling it's the dad...men have weird habits. Saying something will definitely help. I mean, who wants to know that their daily bath routine wakes the neighbors?? Just be as nice as possible and realize that it will be just as hard for him to hear it...maybe start out by saying, "This is awkward, but..." ha ha...

We had a neighbor that made a strange loud humming noise every night and we couldn't confront them because we had no idea what it was! But once they moved it was gone...

Scott and Sara said...

I hate having to say stuff too. I would do what Julie said, mention it to the owners, maybe have them post a sign about quiet hours. (Obviously post it on your door too, even though you're not the problem. Then they will never know you complained right?)
I'm too scared to pound on the wall, I mean tap, just because we see our neighbors around. But I know Scott is tempted often!
I always tell him this is what happens when you live in apartments. I'm sure we all do things that our neighbors wish they didn't hear. Good luck with the dancing elephant. Keep us posted : )

Kristin said...

LOLOL!! I have absolutely no idea how you deal with that, but it made me laugh. I do have to say, I'm sorry that's going on right now, maybe there is a drunk elephant taking a bath in there, or something similar anyway.

We lived in an apartment and our neighbors upstairs had a thing with watching movies with the TV blaring at all hours of the night, and vaccuuming the linoleum flooring at 6 am. We lived with it until we moved.

Good luck!