Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Today, Ryan and I celebrate 4 years of marriage. I marvel every day at how blessed I am to have someone so wonderful in my life. We are both so lucky that we didn’t have to search long to find each other. I look forward to celebrating another 60 anniversaries with him, and on to eternity! I love you, Ryan!

Here’s the story of how we met:

In August of 2004, Ryan and I both started as Freshman at Southern Virginia University. He had just returned from his mission about 4 months before, and I was straight out of high school. Before classes started, we had a few days of orientation and I noticed this guy. It wasn’t “love at first sight” but I was interested. I remember thinking I would like to get to know him better. Meanwhile, my roommates and I had devised a plan to create a “Wall of Hot Boys” on our dorm room wall. We decided we would go around and take pictures of guys and tell them they were going to be featured on our wall. What guy doesn’t want to hear that? and what better way to get to know people? The night before classes started, we all went to an orientation dance out on the tennis courts. I made sure to bring my digital camera and we four girls spent the evening approaching random young men. I saw Ryan “across a crowded room” and begged my friends to come with me to meet him. We, of course, used our line “we’re making a wall of hot boys and we want to take your picture so you can be on it.” Ryan says he vaguely remembers some girls coming up to him, but other than that our magic moment is lost on him. good thing I have proof. Here’s Ryan the night I met him. And yes, his picture stayed on our wall for a long time.Ryan

We ended up having a class together and some mutual friends but we didn’t start “officially” dating until January.

R and H 2

In September of 2005 he proposed to me

engagement 9-19-05

and on May 4, 2006 we were sealed for eternity in the Seattle Temple. Ah, love!    4

9 comments:

AlixSteele said...

Congratulations you guys! I can’t even tell you how much I love that picture of 21 year old Ryan.

j and s (but mainly s) said...

I can't believe we did that. In retrospect, I bet we sounded kind of dumb... but it got you Ryan, so it worked out in the end!

Melinda said...

Thats totally funny Heather! I would say I wouldn't have had the guts to do that, but probably right out of high school I would have too! haha Congrats on four years, yay!

Mrs Abbott said...

Happy Anniversary! It wasn't love at first sight for me and Josh either, but once he took his glasses off, I was hooked! Plus, his glowing blonde hair really drew me in!

Fox and Amy said...

Happy Anniversary! What a sweet story, too. I think young love is the best--less drama and you get to have a 10 year anniversary before you're even 30! Yay!

Amber said...

Aww, happy anniversary! Thanks for sharing your story!

Unknown said...

Congrats - I still remember how special your special day was and glad I could be there! here's to eternity...

Janey said...

I love that story - your wall of "hotie guys" was such a creative and devious idea. Your wedding day was a beautiful for our whole family - congratulations you two!

Beck said...

I remember those days. ;) I remember someone asking if I knew this redhead that hung out with my (now) hubby. :) Good times! Remember those nun days? Heehee...